QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
CHAPTER 70 DINNER MEETING
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Socialize from 18:15 hrs. - Dinner at 18:45 hrs.
1) At 6:45 PM, John Barnhardt, VE3ZOV welcomed Chapter members and
guests, and introduced the head table members.
Executive Members Present:
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV President
Richard Ferch VE3KI Past President
Luc Pernot VE3JGL Vice President
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Bryan Rawlings VE3QN Treasurer
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director
Gary Spence VE2GK Director
There were 20 members & 1 guest attending. Guest: Vincent Hyatt / VA3VGH
John proceeded to say:
· A reminder of the weekly 2M Net Monday 7:30 PM on VE3MPC Repeater
100 Hz Tone
· Thanks to the Volunteers and Executive for their dedication
· Thanks to Doug Leach / VE3XK for managing our web page & keeping the
· Thanks to Pat Brewer for managing our Awards Program
· Thanks to Bryan Rawlings VE3QN or managing our finances & our
· Thanks to Norm Rashleigh VE3LC for managing our Journal reports to
QCWA HQ & being our Secretary
· Thanks to Luc Pernot VE3JGL for being our Vice President and our Club
· Thanks to Gary Spence VE2GK for managing our Prizes program and;
· Thanks to this Month’s Speaker- Michael Babineau VE3WMB.
2) Minutes of the May 21, 2019 dinner meeting: John VE3ZOV asked for
approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website. Acceptance was
moved by Marcel Lemay VE3FNG and seconded by Barry Allison VE3NA that
the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
3) President’s report – Pat Brewer and Bryan Rawlings have accepted to run for
another 2 year term as Director and Treasurer, respectively and will be confirmed
by the membership by a motion and vote at the November meeting. However
the John will be stepping down as president and we are open for nominations.
4.) Treasurer’s report by Bryan Rawlings VE3QN is attached to the conclusion of
Moved by Ralph Cameron / VE3BBM, seconded by Doug Leach / VE3XK
5.) Club dissolution document re Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
6) Illness and SK Report: - Norm Rashleigh / VE3LC advised that Bob Calver,
VE3UUH passed away suddenly September 8th. Bob lived in Jasper, ON just
south east of Smiths Falls and served as Net Control Station of the long running
“Rubber Boot Net” weekday mornings on repeater VE3MPC.
7) After Dinner Speaker:
Norm VE3LC introduced Chapter member Michael Babineau VE3WMB who
gave a rather unique presentation on a project to design, fabricate, write code
and launch a small high flying “PICO” balloon payload that will take aloft an
amateur radio 20 metre HF Weak-Signal-Propagation-Reporter (WSPR) beacon
transmitter. Over all, the payload package will weigh about 10 grams and include
a postage stamp sized circuit board, small solar array power source, and a
micro-thin-wire and string assembly as a HF dipole antenna radiator. Michael
hopes the package will circumnavigate the world may times. It should be a thrill
to track the balloon flight using the WSPRnet.org network of amateur radio
listening and reporting stations.
At the conclusion of Michael’s presentation, kind words of thanks were given by
8) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes were presented by Gary Spence / VE2GK.
1.) Marcel Lemay / VE3FNG
2.) Luc Pernot / VE3JGL
3.) Gary Hyatt / VA3VGH
The 50/50 prize was won by Doug Leach / VE3XK -- $34.50
9) Next meeting:
Before closing, John Barnhardt / VE3ZOV announced that the Annual General
Meeting will be held on Tuesday November 19 at KS on the Keys. The Chapter
executive will be putting forward a slate of nominees to continue the running of
The speaker will be our own Richard Ferch VE3KI on the subject of operating
FT8 using the WSJT-X software.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Minutes prepared by:
Chapter 70 Secretary
Bryan’s Chapter 70 financial report to follow:
Quarter Century Wireless Association, Chapter 70
Treasurer’s Report for 11 September 2019
Chequing Account (BMO) as at 11/09/2019 $ 3888.43
Cash $ 209.40
Less Accounts Payable $ 0.00
Total $ 4097.83
Revenues ( 1/1/2019 to 11/9/2019) $ 406.00
Expenses ( 1/1/2019 to 11/9/2019) $ 1321.14
The Chapter 70 membership list shows 65 members of which 35 have
paid membership dues to the end of 2019 or later.
Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
13 September 2019