QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Socialize from 6:15 hrs - Dinner at 6:45 hrs
1) At 6:45 PM, Richard Ferch, VE3KI welcomed 29 Chapter members, and guests, and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
Richard Ferch VE3KI President
David Conn VE3KL Past President
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV Vice President
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director
John Hewitt VE3PUX Director
Barry Allison VE3NJK Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Harrie Jones, VE3HYS (guest speaker), and Vincent Hyatt, VA3VGH
2) Minutes of the May 19, 2015 dinner meeting: Richard VE3KI asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Norm, VE3LC and seconded by Doug, VE3XK that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
3) President’s report: Richard VE3KI reported that the planned picnic at the Aviation Museum had been a success. A number of Chapter members had participated in the transmitter hunt organized by Norm VE3LC and Barry, VE3NJK. He also reported that the sale of cables and equipment from the estate of Jim Dean, VE3IQ at the Smiths Falls and Carp hamfests had raised over $1000 for the Chapter.
4) Illness and SK Report: - John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, reported on sick and ailing members as follows:
Chapter member Eddy Fuchs, VE3XTU, passed away on August 14 and also, Jim McIntosh, VE3CZM formerly of Kemptville passed away passed away August 31.
John also reported that Chapter member Gord Curling, VE3KKL had undergone knee surgery.
5) Presentation: Richard Ferch, VE3KI, presented Jack Belrose, VE2CV/VE3CVV, with the QCWA Century Award and Wayne Getchell, VE3CZO, with his 40 year pin. Both these Chapter 70 members were unable to receive at the May meeting.
6) After Dinner Speaker:
Lightning and Grounding
Presenter – Harrie Jones VE3HYS
The speaker was introduced by George Roach VE3BNO who hired Harrie as a broadcast technician into his career at CFRA/CFMO years ago. Harrie is now the chief broadcast engineer for CFRA and all other Ottawa AM and FM radio stations of Bell Media.
Harrie gave a presentation on lightning and on grounding methods to protect radio stations from lightning.
The speaker was thanked by Dave Conn VE3KL.
7) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
Several doors prizes were given out to lucky attendees. The 50-50 prize was won by guest Vince Hyatt, VA3VGH, son of Chapter member Gary Hyatt, VE3MJT.
8) Next meeting:
Before closing, Richard VE3KI announced that the next dinner meeting will be held on Tuesday November 17 at KS on the Keys.
The guest speaker will be Norm Rashleigh VE3LC on the topic of "Yaesu System Fusion Digital Radio, a Comparison with Icom D-Star"
Richard encouraged members to check into the Monday night net.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Minutes prepared by:
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC