QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Socialize from 6:15 hrs - Dinner at 6:45 hrs
1) At 6:45 PM, Richard Ferch, VE3KI welcomed 28 Chapter members and guests and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
Richard Ferch VE3KI President
David Conn VE3KL Past President
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV Vice President
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director
John Hewitt VE3PUX Director to be ratified
Barry Allison VE3NJK Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Guests: Trevor Alletson, VE3TAC, and John Hewitt's wife, Barbara
2) Minutes of the May 13, 2014 dinner meeting: Richard VE3KI asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Joe Parkinson and seconded by Dick Bonnycastle that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
3) President’s report: Richard VE3KI reported that the planned picnic at the Rideau River Provincial Park had been cancelled due to inclement weather. A number of Chapter members had participated in the portable radio demonstration event at Britannia Park organized by the Ottawa Amateur Radio Club on September 13. Richard also reported that Jack Belrose VE2CV/VE3CVV was awarded the 2014 Edgar F. Johnson Pioneer Citation by the Radio Club of America.
4) New Director: John Hewitt VE3PUX
Richard asked Dave Conn VE3KL to nominate John Hewitt VE3PUX for a 2 year term as a director for QCWA Chapter 70. The nomination was seconded by Doug Leach. Carried.
5) Illness and SK Report: - John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, reported on sick and ailing members as follows:
Fortunately, there was nothing to report at this meeting. Everybody seems to be alive and well.
6) After Dinner Speaker:
Software Defined Radio Development using GNU Radio
Presenter – Clayton Smith VE3IRR
The speaker was introduced by Dave Conn, VE3KL.
Clayton Smith gave a presentation on developments in software defined radios, focusing on the ability to use GNU Radio software to construct radios for different purposes using a combination of hardware and software modules.
The speaker was thanked by Richard Ferch VE3KI.
7) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes presented by Dave Conn, VE3KL with the assistance of Clayton Smith. The 50-50 Draw was won by George and Frances Roach.
9) Next meeting:
Before closing, Richard VE3KI announced that the annual general meeting will be held on Tuesday November 18 at KS on the Keys. The speaker will be Bryan Rawlings, VE3QN, who will tell us about work that is being done in preparation for the next World Radio Conference on a possible new international 60 meter amateur allocation.
Richard encouraged members to check into the Monday night net on repeater VE3MPC, 147.150 + with no ctcss access tone required.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Minutes prepared by
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC