QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
Tuesday September 17, 2013
Socialize 6:15 PM
Dinner Orders at 6:45 PM
1) At 6:30 PM, President David Conn welcomed 39 Chapter members and guests, and introduced the head table.
David Conn VE3KL President
Richard Ferch VE3KI Vice President
Bob MacKenzie VA3RKM Past President
Barry Allison VE3NJK Director
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV Director
Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Guests: Jean Sarrazin, VE3ZJS and Sharon, daughter of Ernie Brown
Also introduced was David Coutts, VE3KLX who is a new
member of the Chapter
3) Minutes of the May 2013 dinner meeting: Dave VE3KL, asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA and seconded by Norm Rashleigh VE3LC, that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
4) President’s Message: Dave, VE3KL.
Dave announced that Ernie Brown, VA3OEB, is moving to southern Ontario to be closer to his family. He has been a QCWA member since 1997 and has contributed to the club immensely through presentations:
Radio Waves Across the North: QCWA May 2007 and Merchant Navy Sparks. Dave presented Ernie with a going away present (a book) which was signed by the QCWA members. Dave also mentioned that today was Ernie’s birthday, 93 years young.
Dave reported on the success of the August picnic at the Rideau River provincial park. Twenty one people attended and there were several portable radio stations set up. Ying Hum, VE3YH took pictures of the event and sent them to Doug Leach for posting on our Web site. Please look at them under Chapter 70 History/Event Photos at the bottom of the page.
Dave recommended that this become an annual event and that we invite non members to attend.
Dave congratulated Rich for winning the ARRL Triple Play award (WAS: RTTY, CW and PH)
5) Secretary’s Report: Norm Rashleigh reported on interaction with QCWA inc. and recommended that all members should send their email address to them. All communications is now through electronic medium. Norm also notified the group about Industry Canada Consultation Notice SMSE-004-13 about new band proposals and recommended that QCWA Chapter 70 respond by sending a short letter of approval to Industry Canada. Norm also advised he has provided Journal reports following meetings and other events. Look for the Journal report on the Picnic event in the October edition of the Journal.
Moved by Richard Ferch, VE3KI and seconded by John Barnhardt, VE3ZOV that the Secretary’s report be approved. Carried
6) Treasurer’s report: presented by Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA
This report covers the period February to September, 2013
Net Change $550.45
Cash on Hand $3629.40
Moved by Dick VE3FUA and seconded by Bob Mackenzie that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Carried
7) Illness and SK Report: - Richard Ferch VE3KI, reported there was nothing to report, all members seemed to be alive and well.
8) Bob, VA3RKM reported on the proposed changes to the executive starting in January 2014 and invited nominations from the club for any of the positions. The executive is proposing the following changes:
Barry has volunteered to take over the treasurer position
Rich has accepted to be the new president
Dave will be the past president
John will assume the data base duties from Barry.
Bob and Dick will step down from the executive.
We are still looking for an additional director and vice-president.
9) After Dinner Speaker: Dave Goodwin, VE3AAQ. Amateur Radio Experiences in China and the Pacific. Introduced by Barry Allison and thanked by Dave Conn.
10) Door prizes and 50-50 draw: Dave VE3KL, assisted by Dave Goodwin, VE3AAQ, conducted the selection of winning tickets for the door prizes and 50/50 draw. The winner of the 50/50 draw was John Barnhardt, VE3ZOV.
Next meeting: - Before closing, Dave, VE3KL announced that the next meeting will be held Tuesday November 19. Venue to be announced.
Our Guest speaker will be Clayton Smith, VE3IRR, who will talk about Software Defined Radios.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Minutes submitted by:
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
Secretary, Chapter 70