QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
6:50 pm – 9:20 pm
At 6:53 PM, President Bob MacKenzie, VA3RKM, welcomed 41 Chapter 70 members and guests, and introduced the head table.
Vice-President Dave Conn, VE3KL
Director Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA
Director Doug Leach, VE3XK
Secretary Ken Pulfer, VE3PU
Treasurer Bryan Rawlings, VE3QN
Past President Dave Parks VE3AV
Director Richard Ferch, VE3IAY/VE3KI
After dinner speaker Barry CramptonVE3BSB
Scholarship winner Brendan McDonald VA3BJM
Guests Jean Ouellette VE3OKK, and Henry Jarzyna VA3OV from Hawkesbury ON.
1. Minutes of the May 19th, 2009 dinner meeting: - Ken VE3PU, asked for approval of the May minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Ken
VE3PU and seconded by George Roach
that the minutes be adopted as posted.
2. Correspondence Report: - Ken VE3PU presented his correspondence report as follows:
· Sent a second quarter Journal report to HQ
· Sent e-mail to membership on FISTS, IOTA, the fall OARC Code course, and several other notices requested by Exec members. (Need correct e-mail addresses for VE3TL, VE3LJ and VE3PC)
Mailed pins and certificates to recipients who were not present at the
May meeting. Received reply and thank you from Mike Rowlands VE
UK a few days after mailing certificate and pin.
3. Illness and SK Report: - In the absence of Richard VE3KI, Bob VA3RKM expressed get well wishes to Keith Bedal VE3GFI and Rod Newkirk VA3ZBB on behalf of the members of Chapter 70.
The Chair then requested a moment of silence for silent key Ken Willing VE3CV
4. Treasurer’s report: - Bryan VE3QN presented his report as follows:
Balance as at 21 April 2009 $ 1531.41
REVENUES & EXPENSES: 22 Apr to 15 September 2009 …
Membership Renewals $ 150.00
Estate Sales $1045.00
Bank Interest $ 0.21
Postage & Mailing Expenses $ 12.98
Website Hosting $ 123.07
In-Memoriam contributions $ 86.43
Subtotal $ 222.48
Balance as at 15 September 2009 $ 2504.14
Membership fees accrued beyond current year
2010 membership dues accrued $ 270.00
2011 membership dues accrued $ 120.00
2012 membership dues accrued $ 30.00
2013 membership dues accrued $ 15.00
Subtotal $ 435.00
Balance applicable to 2009 … $ 2069.14
Moved by Bryan VE3QN, seconded by Ed Seib VA3ES that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Carried
Membership forms: - Bryan VE3QN
reported on the decision of the executive to develop a “one stop” membership
approach incorporating both QCWA
as well as Chapter 70 membership. He explained that a new application form had
been prepared, allowing prospective new members to pay for both memberships
through Chapter 70 should they wish to do so.
6. QCWA Scholarship: - George Roach VE3BNO, introduced Brendan McDonald VA3BJM, a second year linguistics and psychology student at the University of Ottawa. Brendan, who hails from Dryden Ontario, applied for and won a “Foundation for Amateur Radio” QCWA scholarship of $1200 US. He was sponsored by George VE3BNO. Brendan thanked Chapter 70 members for their support.
7. QSO Party:
- On a separate topic, George
reminded members of the QCWA QSO Party coming up on Sept
encouraged everyone to participate.
8. News and notices: - Bob VA3RKM reported on the following news items:
The QCWA table at the September 12th
OARC hamfest was a success. In addition to publicizing QCWA, it provided an
opportunity to sell some of the equipment donated to the Chapter by the estates
of VE3CAO, and VE3HWW, and from VE3DA who
into a nursing home.
The Chapter 70 executive has decided to hold the February, 2010 meeting at lunch time rather than in the evening. The meeting will be at Robbie’s restaurant as usual.
Attendees were reminded to pick up some of the new Membership forms, sign their name at the “sponsor” position, and give them to friends or acquaintances who might be interested in joining the Chapter.
A possible July 2010 IOTA expedition for Chapter 70 has been discussed. Anyone interested in organizing such an expedition should contact a member of the executive.
9. Chapter History
update: - Doug VE3XK, provided a
brief report on the status of the History of Chapter 70. With the aid of a short PowerPoint
presentation, he explained that, in lieu of publishing and selling to members,
2009 hard copy of the Chapter 70 history, a continuously updated
history would be made available as a section on the Chapter 70 web site, free
for all to access.
For those who would prefer a printed version, a pdf file containing the history previous to 2000 would be available for download from the website. Viewers will also be able to download and print the history text from 2000 onward, as well as any photo they wish.
Doug outlined the advantages and disadvantages of this approach and accepted the responsibility of maintaining the history on the web site. Members present supported the idea and thanked him with a round of applause.
10. After Dinner Talk: - Following dinner, Chapter 70 vice president Dave Conn VE3KL introduced guest speaker Barry Crampton VE3BSB. Barrie gave a lively PowerPoint presentation entitled “Amateur Radio Journeys to the Edge of Space”. The talk described several high altitude balloon flights organized by LASA – the Lanark Space Agency. LASA is a group of radio amateurs, students, and other interested residents of the Perth area, who have built and launched several helium filled balloons carrying payloads composed of APRS equipment and at times a camera. The balloons, launched from Perth, have climbed to as high as 122,000 feet, and landed as far away as the state of Maine. At the end of his presentation, Barry was given an enthusiastic round of applause and thanked by Dave Conn VE3KL.
Door prizes and 50-50 draw: - Doug VE3XK Dick
VE3FUA, conducted the selection of
winning tickets for the door prizes and for the 50/50 draw. The winner of the
50/50 draw ($49.00) was Don Dashney
12. Next meeting: - Before closing, the president announced that the next dinner meeting will be held on November 17th 2009.
13. The meeting was adjourned at 9:21 PM.