QCWA CHAPTER 70
Minutes of Meeting Nov. 16 th, 1994
Held at the Carlingwood Family Restaurant
- Following an initial time of socializing the meeting was called to order by Jim Dean, VE3IQ, acting as Chairman. Jim introduced as a guest Bill Sullivan, VO1AI. Jim suggested that Bill might be available as a speaker for a future meeting.
- Jim noted that he had brought along a montage of pictures taken at the RAC Convention in Calgary. Several of our local members were present at the Convention and attended the QCWA luncheon.
- Following dinner Jim opened the meeting for business at 2020 hrs. Jim drew to the attention of the members that Chapter 70 renewal application forms for 1995 had been included in the last mailing. It is hoped that many of the members will renew their membership this evening. It was moved by Doc Plummer (VE3MA), seconded by George Schuthe (VE3DMC) that the minutes of the September meeting be accepted as posted.
- Keith (VE3GFI) gave a Treasurer's report. Funds in the bank as of Nov. 16th amount to $616.30. There are two bills outstanding to be paid - one to Keith in the amount of $38.17, and one to Jim Dean for approximately the same anount. These bills cannot be paid until someone with signing authority, other than the Treasurer, is available. Moved by George Roach (VE3BNO), seconded by Phil Robinson (VA3PR), that the Treasurer's report be accepted. Motion carried.
- It was mentioned that Tom Walker (VE3PDJ) is still in the Civic Hospital. George Schuthe mentioned that Joe Alexander (VE3LBQ) became a silent key on Novemnber 2nd, 1994. Joe was not a QCWA member.
- Jim reminded the members of the Chapter 70 QCWA Net. This Net meets every Thursday evening at 2000 hrs, local time. The Net uses repeater VE3TEL - 147.03 out, 146.43 in. This NET has been operating for about a year now. Jim has been NET controller - with some help from other members. Jim is prepared to continue on as NET Controller as long as we wish to continue operating the NET.
- John Athey (VE3GS) was presented with his 45-year pin. Jim has a pin for Fred Hawkins (VE3KH), who unfortunately was not present.
- Ken Pulfer (VE3PU) mentioned that it is now possible to get an emblem, such as RAC, on car license plates. If someone can come up with a name of a person involved with the original issuing of callsign license plates. Jim Dean volunteered to follow up on this matter. It was noted that, for a nominal fee, stolen or damaged callsign plates may be replaced by requesting this at a vehicle licensing office. Remember to carry necessary tools to exchange plates in the parking lot!
- The Nominating Committee report was presented by Jim Dean. The members of the Nominating Committee were Ken Pulfer (VE3PU) and Ralph Cameron (VE3BBM). The committee brought forward the following slate of officers:
Jack Tennant (VE3AHZ) as vice-president, replacing Bill (VE3AAS).
Jim Dean (VE3IQ) as a director.
Gord Grant (VE3DY) continues as director for another year.
Keith Bedal (VE3GFI) continues as secretary-treasurer for another year.
No-one has yet volunteered to take on the job of President to
replace Croft Taylor (VE3CT), whose term has expired.
* Moved by Ken Pulfer, seconded by Bill Wilson, that the Nominating Committee Report be accepted. Motion carried unanimously.
* Jim asked for nominations from the floor for position of President. None were forthcoming. Moved by Doc Plummer, seconded by Ken Pulfer, that the executive be empowered to search and appoint a President. Carried.
- The speaker for the evening, Bill Wilson (VE3NR), was introduced by Jim Dean. Bill had been involved for many years with Spectrum Management. At time of retirement Bill was Director-General of Telecommunications Radio-Relations. Bill told us of his many experiences - especially concerning his several trips to Geneva as a Canadian delegate to the ITU Conferences. Bill was ably thanked by Jim Dean for a most interesting and entertaining talk.
- Moved by Carl Everson (VE3BYX), seconded by Ken Pulfer (VE3PU), that the meeting close. The time was 2130 hrs. There were 28 members and guests present.
73 de Keith
Croft Taylor (VE3CT) Keith Bedal (VE3GFI)
President 839-3336 Sect'y-Treas. 828-1870
3 Weatherly Dr. 125 Ridgefield Cr.,
Kanata, Ont., K2W 1A3 Nepean, Ont., K2H-6T4