QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Socialize from 6:15 hrs. - Dinner at 6:45 hrs.
At 6:15 PM, John Barnhardt, VE3ZOV welcomed 23 Chapter members and guests and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV President
Richard Ferch VE3KI Past President
Luc Pernot VE3JGL Vice President
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Bryan Rawlings (Absent) VE3QN Treasurer & Membership
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director Awards
Gary Spence VE2GK Director Prizes
Guests: Sean Ainsworth VE3SMA
1) The Annual Message from President by John Barnhardt VE3ZOV included:
· Thanking the Volunteers and Executive for their dedication and service, specifically:
· Doug Leach VE3XK for managing our web page & keeping the archives;
· Richard Ferch VE3KI for arranging speakers for meetings.
· Pat Brewer VE3KJQ for managing our Awards Program.
· Bryan Rawlings for managing our finances & our membership list;
· Norm Rashleigh VE3LC for writing the Chapter reports for publication in the QCWA Journal Magazine;
· Luc Pernot VE3JGL for being our Club Photographer and
· Gary Spence VE2GK for managing our Prizes for meetings.
John also thanked folks that gave presentations at our 2018 meetings, specifically:
· Guest Dr. José Campione, VA3PCJ for his February meeting presentation “Improbable QRP Adventures of an Even More Improbable Radio Amateur”;
· John Gilbert, VE3CXL who gave a wonderful presentation at our May meeting titled: “A Shoebox of QSL Cards: Menories of Solar Cycle 19”; and
· Guest Chris Allingham, VE3FU for his presentation at our September meeting on “Remote Control Operation of his VO2 station located in GooseBay, Labrador.
John asked anyone who might be able to give members rides to the meetings to please let a member of the Executive know. He reminded members to invite eligible amateurs to join the QCWA and the Chapter. John encouraged members to check into the Monday night net (7:30 pm, VE3MPC repeater 100Hz tone).
2) Illness and SK Report: (John Barnhardt VE3ZOV)
It was sad to report the recent passing of current and past members of the Chapter 70.
· Ernie Brown VE3OEB - Sept 27, 2018
· Ken Holt VE3VC - Sept 29, 2018
· Paul Campbell VE3PC - Oct 5, 2018
3) Minutes of the September 19, 2017 dinner meeting:
John VE3ZOV asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website. Moved by Dave Conn VE3KL and seconded by Doug Leach VE3XK that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
4) Secretary’s Report:
Norm VE3LC reported that reports have been forwarded regularly following every meeting and event for publishing in the QCWA Journal. Norm also prepares minutes for publishing following Chapter meetings.
5) Treasurer’s Report 2018 and proposed Budget for 2018 - 2019
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV presented the financial report and proposed budget on behalf of Bryan Rawlings VE3QN; these are attached to the end of these minutes. Moved by Dave Parks VE3AV and seconded by Duncan VE3GXU that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Carried. Budget approval was moved by George Roach VE3BNO and seconded by Dave Parks VE3AV. Carried
Discussion Points on the budget:
Budget deficit under $1000 per year - savings will run out in less than 5 years.
Membership fees may have to be increased.
Estate sales are not a guaranteed income.
Awards are the costliest expense – may have to do them every 10 years – will need a change in the chapter’s policy on service pins.
Only donation will be $75 to Scholarship fund.
Meal subsidy of $2.00 per dinner may have to end.
Suggest members donate books and equipment to our club for future Hamfests.
6) Richard Ferch VE3KI past president and nominating committee chair nominated Bryan Rawlings VE3QN and Pat Brewer VE3KJQ to extend their terms for the next two years; both have agreed.
John then asked for other nominations from the floor. There being no nominations from the floor, it was moved by Richard Ferch and seconded by John Barnthardt that the executive be accepted as proposed. Carried.
6) After Dinner Speaker:
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC provided a presentation at the meeting about the “Technology and Economics of the his All Electric Car”.
The Norm was introduced by Luc Pernot VE3JGL and afterwards, was thanked by Pat Brewer VE3KJQ.
8) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes were presented by Gary Spence VE2GK, assisted by Duncan Schuthe VE3GXU, winners of the draw were:
1. Duncan Schuthe VE3GXU
2. Wayne Getchell VE3CZO
3. Brice Wightman VE3EDR
4. Barry Allison VE3NA
5. Luc Pernot VE3JGL
6. Francis MacKenzie-Roach VE3HKG
The 50-50 Draw was won by Rich Ferch VE3KI.
9) Next meeting:
Before closing, John Barnhardt VE3ZOV announced that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday February 19, 2019 at KS on the Keys.
Ray Perrin VE3FN will provide a presentation on his activity Microwave Ham Radio 10, 24 and 47 GHz. As in recent years, it will be a luncheon meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:40 pm.
1.) Membership Paid Brice Wightman $15.00
2.) 50/50 $33.00/2 = $16.50 – Richard Ferch VE3KI
3.) Receipt 23 persons x $2.00 from KS on the Keyes $46.00 from cash box
Minutes prepared and submitted by:
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
Treasurer’s Report for 06 November 2018
Chequing Account (BMO) as at 17/09/2018 $ 4825.90
Cash $ 162.50
Pending Accounts Payable $ 0.00
Total $ 4988.40
The Chapter 70 membership list shows 64 members of which 43 have paid membership dues to the end of 2018 or later.
Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
12 November 2018
Quarter Century Wireless Association
National Capital Chapter 70
Proposed Budget for 2018 - 2019
Membership Renewals[i] $ 500.00
50/50 Draws[ii] $ 100.00
Estate Sales[iii] $ 50.00
Total $ 650.00
QCWA Awards $ 800.00
Gifts[iv] $ 220.00
Speaker Meals[v] $ 120.00
Meal Subsidy (Meetings)[vi] $ 240.00
Charitable Donations[vii] $ 75.00
Website[viii] $ 130.00
Total $ 1585.00
Excess of Expenses over Revenues $ 935.00
Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
Treasurer, QCWA Chapter 70
22 November 2018
[i] 50 active members (estimate) less 3 life members and 14 accruals for 2019 or later = 33 x $15/ea
[ii] 2018 actuals rounded up to nearest $10
[iii] Estimate. There was no Estate Sale revenue in 2018
[iv] Gary Spence estimates same budget amount for 2019
[v] Four meetings @ $30/meal
[vi] Average using data from 2 meetings in 2018
[vii] Donation in $CAN to QCWA International
[viii] Doug Leach estimates no change from 2018