QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
Socialize from 6:15 hrs - Dinner at 6:45 hrs
1) At 6:45 PM, Richard Ferch, VE3KI welcomed 24 Chapter members and guests and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
Richard Ferch††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† VE3KI ††††††††† President
David Conn††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† VE3KL†††††††††† Past President†††††††
John Barnhardt††††††††††††††††††††††††††† VE3ZOV††††††† Vice President
Pat Brewer††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† VE3KJQ††††††† Director
John Hewitt††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †† VE3PUX††††††† Director
Barry Allison†† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††† VE3NJK†††††††† Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh† †††††††††††††††††††††† †††VE3LC †††††††† Secretary
Guests:† Vincent Hyatt, VA3VGH
1) Annual Message from the President as presented by Richard Ferch, VE3KI:
Richard made an announcement about the second annual DXersí and Contestersí meeting that is planned for Saturday January 21 at St Paulís Presbyterian Church on Woodroffe Avenue. The meeting is sponsored by Contest Club Ontario, but anyone who is interested in DX is invited.
Richard thanked the volunteers and executive for their dedication and hard work for QCWA Chapter 70. Thanks to Doug Leach, VE3XK for running our web site and keeping the Chapter archives, Pat Brewer VE3KJQ for handling certificates and pins for the May 2015 meeting, Barry Allison VE3NJK for managing finances as well as the membership list, Norm Rashleigh VE3LC for filing reports with QCWA International, and John Barnhardt VE3ZOV for photography and for conducting the Chapterís weekly 2 metre net using the call sign VE3QCW. John also reserves the restaurant prior to every meeting.
Richard thanked the guest speakers for 2015/16:
∑ Norm Rashleigh VE3LC: Yaesu System Fusion
∑ Dave Green VE3TLY:† Off Grid at VA2GN
∑ Ying Hum VA3YH: Hong Kong Amateur Radio
∑ Alan Goodacre VE3HX: Long-Delayed Echoes
Richard asked anyone who might be able to give members rides to the meetings to please let a member of the Executive know. He reminded members to invite eligible amateurs to join the QCWA and† Chapter 70. QCWA International has a recruitment drive under way Ė if you recruit a new member between now and the end of the year you can receive an extra yearís membership free, or for life members, a Life Member pin. Richard also encouraged members to check into the Monday night net (7:30 pm, VE3MPC repeater).
2) Illness and SK Report: - John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, reported on the passing of Tom Bartello VE3ELM on October 26, 2016. A minute of silence and reflection was held for Tom.
3) Minutes of the September 20, 2016 dinner meeting: Richard VE3KI asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by John Gibert, VE3CXL and seconded by Marcel Lemay, VE3FNG that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
4) Norm VE3LC reported that meeting reports have been forwarded regularly to QCWA International and appear in the QCWA Journal a couple of months after the meetings.
5) Treasurerís Report and proposed Budget for 2017:† Barry Allison VE3NJK presented the financial report which is attached to the end of these minutes. He stated that charitable donations were made to the Radio Amateurs of Canada Foundation† and to the Defense of Amateur Radio Fund. The proposed budget for 2017 was also presented. Moved by Dave Parks, VE3AV and seconded by Gary Hyatt, VE3MJT that the Treasurerís report be approved. Discussion, Doug Leach, VE3XK suggested an amendment that the budget include a donation to the QCWA Scholarship fund for the amount of $400US.† Dave Parks moved this should be accepted. The vote was carried and this will be added to the Budget. As presented at the meeting, Barryís financial report and proposed Budget are shown at the end of these minutes.
6) Nominating Report: Dave VE3KL spoke to nominations for the Executive for 2016. The executive positions that need to be filled at this meeting are the positions of Vice President, Treasurer and two Directors. The current Vice President, John Barnhardt VE3ZOV and Director Pat Brewer VE3KJQ have indicated their willingness to serve for another two-year term. Treasurer Barry Allison VE3NJK and Director John Hewitt VE3PUX will be stepping down. Dave proposed that Alan Goodacre, VE3HX, be nominated for the Director position. As yet, a candidate for the Treasurerís position has not been found. Dave asked whether there were any nominations from the floor. Responding, Bryan Rawlings indicated he would stand for nomination for the treasurers positions. With now a full slate, it was moved by Dave Conn, VE3KL and seconded by Doug Leach, VE3XK that the executive be elected as proposed. Carried.
Richard thanked outgoing Director John Hewitt and Treasurer Barry Allison, noting that Barry would continue to manage the Chapterís membership list.
7) After Dinner Speaker: †
Amateur Radio Courses at the Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club
Presenter Ė Norm Rashleigh VE3LC
The speaker was introduced by Richard Ferch VE3KI.
Norm Rashleigh gave a presentation on the amateur radio courses he has been giving under the auspices of the OVMRC.
The speaker was thanked by Dave Conn VE3KL.
8) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes were presented by Dave Conn, VE3KL with the assistance of Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC.†† The 50-50 Draw was won by Bryan Rawlings, VE3QN.
9) Next meeting:†
Before closing, Richard VE3KI announced that the next meeting will be held on Tuesday February 21, 2017 at KS on the Keys. As in recent years, it will be a luncheon meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9 pm.
Minutes prepared by
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
2016-11 Dinner Meeting
Highlights of the past year:
Opening Balance:†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 4613.76
Membership Renewals††††††††††††††† $††† 405.00
Estate/Equipment Sales†††††††††††† $††††† 94.00
50/50††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $††††† 81.00
Total††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $†† 580.00
Certificates†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 497.59
Internet††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 127.89
Gifts†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 128.04
Speaker Meals†††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 105.00
Total††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 858.52
Closing Balance:†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 4335.24
Cash Box:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $†† 196.80
Total cash on hand:†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 4534.04
Barry Allison, VE3NJK
Treasurer, QCWA Chapter 70
Proposed Budget for 2016 - 2017
2016-11 Dinner Meeting
Opening Balance:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 4534.04
Membership Renewals†† ~ $††† 800.00
50/50†††††† ~ ~†††††††††††††††††††††††††† $††† 140.00
Total††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 940.00
Certificates††††† ~††††††††††††† $† 600.00
Gifts†††††††††††††††† ~††††††††††††† $† 220.00
Speaker Meals††††††††††††††††† $† 100.00
RAC Donation†††††††††††††††††† $† 200.00
DARF Donation†††††††††††††††† $† 200.00
Internet†††††††††††††††††††††††††† $† 130.00
Total††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 1450.00
Balance:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† $ 4024.04
Barry Allison, VE3NJK
Treasurer, QCWA Chapter 70