QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
6:50 pm – 9:20 pm
November 17th, 2009
At 6:56 PM, President Bob MacKenzie VA3RKM, welcomed 40 Chapter 70 members and guests, and introduced the head table.
Vice-President Dave Conn, VE3KL
Director Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA
Director Doug Leach, VE3XK
Secretary Ken Pulfer VE3PU
Director Richard Ferch, VE3IAY/VE3KI
Past President Dave Parks VE3AV
Treasurer Bryan Rawlings, VE3QN
After dinner speaker: Michael Babineau VE3WMB
Guests: Al MacDonald VE3CCD
Ron Powers VE3FIN
1. Minutes of the September 15th, 2009 dinner meeting: - Ken VE3PU, asked for approval of the September 15th minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Ken VE3PU and seconded by Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA, that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
2. Correspondence Report: - Ken VE3PU presented his correspondence report as follows:
· Sent a third quarter Journal report to HQ with CARP ham fest picture
· Sent a dinner reminder e-mail to all members for November dinner meeting. (Most e-mail address problems have been resolved)
· Sent e-mails to membership on:
· A message from Betty Newkirk VE3ZBB on the status of the health of Rod VA3ZBB
· A message from Ernie Jury VE3EJJ on the OVMRC Morse course
· Maintained the Chapter 70 membership database to include new members, keeping track of the status of membership dues, and reporting to Headquarters on SK’s.
3. Illness and SK Report: - Richard Ferch VE3KI, reported on sick and ailing members as follows:
· Rod Newkirk VA3ZBB has moved into the Elizabeth Bruyere centre, and his status has not changed.
· Paul Reed VE2LR has, unfortunately, had a motorcycle accident, and is in hospital recovering.
· For the information of members, Ken Scrivens VE3LJ, although not in ill health, has decided to move into a retirement home at Fairfield Manor 17 Lombardo Drive, Ottawa, where he will no longer have an e-mail address.
4. Report on QCWA international representation: - Joan Powell VE3ZC, reported on the reasons for her resignation from the Board of Directors of QCWA. She explained that because of unexpected workload at home, she had reluctantly had to give up her Director position, but that she would still be serving on one committee. Members present expressed their thanks with a round of applause for Joan.
5. Treasurer’s report: – In the absence of Treasurer Bryan Rawlings VE3QN, Past President Dave Parks VE3AV submitted the Treasurer’s report as follows:
Balance as at 15 September 2009 $ 2504.14
REVENUES & EXPENSES: 15 September to 12 November 2009 …
Chapter 70 Memberships $ 30.00
Bank Interest $ 0.04
Miscellaneous Income $ 19.78
Postage & Mailing Expenses $ 0.98
Repairs & Maintenance $ 15.80
Guest Meals $ 48.17
In-Memoriam contributions, etc. $ 34.80
Subtotal $ 99.75
Balance as at 12 November 2009 $ 2454.21
Membership fees accrued beyond current year
2010 membership dues accrued $ 300.00
2011 membership dues accrued $ 120.00
2012 membership dues accrued $ 30.00
2013 membership dues accrued $ 15.00
Subtotal $ 465.00
Balance applicable to 2009 … $ 1989.21
Moved by Dave VE3AV, seconded by Joe Parkinson VE3JG, that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Carried
6. 2010 Budget
In the absence of Treasurer Bryan VE3QN, Past President Dave VE3AV submitted the draft 2010 Budget as follows:
2010 Budget Proposal
Membership Dues Accrued (20 members) $ 300
Membership Dues (53 members @ $15/ea)2 $ 795
Bank Interest $ 0
Surplus carried forward from 2009 (est) $1100
Total = $ 2195
Secretarial and Office Expenses $ 75
Web Site Hosting $ 1303
In Memoriam donations (est 3 x $25/ea) $ 75
QCWA Scholarship Fund $ 1204
CNIB Amateur Radio Program $ 100
Defence of Amateur Radio Fund $ 100
Undefined $ 250
Speaker & Guest Meals (4 @ $35/ea) $ 140
Purchase of Pins $ 430
Cards $ 25
Bank Charges $ 10
Total = $ 1455
2011 Memberships (8 members) $ 120
2012 Memberships (2 members) $ 30
2013 Memberships (1 member) $ 15
Total = $ 120
Moved by Dave VE3AV, seconded by John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, that the 2010 budget be approved . Carried.
7. Nominations and Elections – Dave VE3AV reported that the following slate of officers had agreed to stand for election for the two year period commencing January 2010:
Vice-President Dave Conn VE3KL
Director Doug Leach VE3XK
Director George Roach VE3BNO
Director Richard Ferch VE3IAY/VE3KI
Treasurer Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA
Secretary Ken Pulfer VE3PU
Moved Dave VE3AV, and seconded by John Gilbert VE3CXL, that the slate of officers recommended by the Nomination Committee be elected. Carried
8. Auditors Report for fiscal year 2008
Bob VA3RKM reported that the report from the auditor, Jim Dean VE3IQ, had been received and that all was in order.
Moved by Dave VE3AV and seconded by Bob Zieman VE3ATN, that the auditors report be accepted. Carried
9. News and notices: - Bob VA3RKM reminded members of several matters.
- The one-stop application form for QCWA and chapter membership is now being used for those who want that service. Members can get copies to give to prospective members from our chapter 70 website or from members of the executive.
- The Chapter 70 history is now on the chapter 70 website and available for use.
- The various door prizes given away at dinner meetings are purchased with money raised from the 50/50 draw.
- He also announced that, in addition to a FISTS number for Chapter 70 we now have obtained a chapter number for the Straight Key Century Club (SKCC). He encouraged members to contact Jim Dean to use the Chapter 70 call sign VE3QCW in order to raise the profile of the chapter and to help those who are looking for slower-speed CW experience on the air.
- Bob noted further that the May spouses' night dinner should be a fun evening, with videos to inform and amuse.
- The February16th meeting will be at noon this year, allowing for members to attend in the daylight.
10. Chapter 70 Membership Certificates: - Doug VE3XK, provided a brief report on a recommendation by the Executive that membership certificates be produced and provided to members of Chapter 70. Only one member present indicated that he did not wish to receive a certificate.
11. Presentations: - Doug VE3XK presented a 35 year pin to new member Peter Jago VA3PJ, and announced that he also had obtained new member pins for Arnold Vandenbelt VA3IEE and Alan Beck VY2WU, who were unable to attend the dinner.
12. After Dinner Talk: - Following dinner, Chapter 70 president Bob VA3RKM introduced guest speaker Michael Babineau VE3WMB
Michael was first licensed in 1980 as VE1BXR and upgraded to Advanced Amateur in 1981. He currently holds the call signs VE3WMB and VA2NB.
He has a Master's degree in Computer Science from the University of Waterloo and has worked in telecommunications software in Ottawa since 1986.
Michael’s ham radio interests include operating CW and Hellschreiber Modes, portable operation and antenna experimentation. He is also an active member of the Polar Bear QRP Group and enjoys participating in Polar Bear Moonlight Madness, a monthly QRP Field Day event held during winter months near the date of the Full Moon. He has recently joined the QCWA and Chapter 70.
Michael gave a PowerPoint presentation describing a variety of hints and tricks for portable operation. His talk covered a number of topics including a range of transceivers and battery power supplies suitable for different conditions and types of portable operation. In particular he described and demonstrated a several different kinds of antenna systems and support structures that can be used in different circumstances.
Dave VE3KL thanked Michael on behalf of members for a very interesting and entertaining talk.
On display were an Elecraft K3, thanks to its owner Rich VE3KI. And a K2 thanks to Bob VA3RKM. Michael also showed his K1, KX-1 and T-1 tuner.
13. Door prizes and 50-50 draw: - Doug VE3XK andDick VE3FUA, conducted the selection of winning tickets for the door prizes and for the 50/50 draw. The winner of the 50/50 draw ($38.50) was Michael Babineau VE3WMB.
14. Next meeting: - Before closing, the president announced that the next meeting will be a luncheon meeting, to be held at 12:00 noon on February 16th 2010
15. The meeting was adjourned at 9:32 PM.
 Net after processing One-Step Initial QCWA+Ch. 70 membership
 Battery for Projector
 Includes get-well cards
1 Revenues derived from the 50/50 draw and from the sale of QCWA Chapter 70 Coffee mugs is used to finance the purchase of door prizes, etc.
2 Members paid as of 14/10/2009 = 73
3 Website hosting $105; Domain Name renewal $20
4 Based on exchange rate $US 1.00 = $CA 0.90 plus bank charges