QCWA CHAPTER 70
Minutes of Meeting May 20th, 1998 Carlingwood Family Restaurant
- A warm summery evening brought 38 members together for dinner and a discussion on Amateur Radio and related activities. Our President Jim Dean VE3IQ welcomed all including our guests Norm Rashleigh VE3LC and Rick Bandla VE3CVG (now both members!)
- Recruiting Award Certificate from QCWA Headquarters in Oregon was presented to Keith Bedal VE3GFI. He was one of ten people out of 9000 or so to receive such an award.
It was noted by Jim that Ray Wilson VE3WI has now moved to Saint John, N.B. and to look for him on the air and hopefully he'll remain a member of our club.
- Carl Everson VE3BYX is currently in hospital in Winchester and Doug Burrill VE3CDC is in the Riverside Hospital. Doug was wished a speedy recovery! Herb Morrison VE3HMF is now at home but is confined to a wheelchair.
- Any members who have not paid their 1998 dues are asked to do so. Regarding the "National" membership, should you require information please contact the secretary, Joan. Keith has noted on our website why you should be a member. One candidate has been sponsored from Chapter 70 to the Scholarship fund. Anyone interested in sponsoring an amateur in the next round should contact our Vice-President Ralph Cameron VE3BBM.
- QCWA hats were available for $5.00 per from the secretary. ($35.00 was raised - only 2 left).
- The St. Lawarence Valley Repeater Council, with Graham Ide VE3BYT as leader, will hold its annual meeting on Sunday June 7 at 1 PM in Iroquois. The Radio Amateurs of Canada will hold their annual general meeting on Sunday May 24 at 10 AM in Arnprior.
- An easy way to contact other Amateurs or be contacted via e-mail is to register with the alias robot on the RAC web page. Then with the email@example.com, the mail is sent immediately to its server. You don't have to remember all those addresses!
- Ken Pulfer VE3PU, Vice-President of International Affairs, is working on items from WRC/97 on behalf of IARU. He is examining technical aspects of the earth exploration satellite that some countries want put in the middle of the 440 MHz band!
- Doug Leach VE3XK commented on the membership and the fact that "year" pins will be ordered for September. Any who have not been contacted or those having questions concerning the pins, should see Doug.
- Fred Green
VE3IO gave a short talk on electrically operated cars. Charge Across America is now underway with information on http://www.ev1.pair.com. On Saturday, May 30 an Electrothon competition at Capital City Speedway with high school students who built their own cars will be taking place.
- Motion of acceptance of the minutes of Feb. 18, 1998 meeting was made by Eli Desson VE3PI seconded by Ralph Cameron VE3BBM. Carried.
- A Treasurer's Report was given by Joan Powell VE3ZC.
Bank Balance Feb. 18, 1998- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $1665.59
Receipts - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $89.78
Expenditures - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $123.06
Bank Balance May 20, 1998 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $1632.31
Motion to accept the Treasurer's Report by Joan Powell VE3ZC, seconded by Croft Taylor VE3CT. Carried.
- As stated by Doug VE3XK, many potential QCWA members are out there. You are always welcome to invite a guest to a meeting.
- Croft VE3CT reported that no spring Board Meeting of the "National" took place as the use of e-mail is being used more now for business transactions and the fact that the Journal required extra financial attention. Belonging to QCWA means you're always welcomed anywhere in North America! This year's convention is in Palm Desert, California. Later conventions will likely be in St. Louis, Chicago and Toronto. The Scholarship Fund has over $200,000 currently. In Canada, we're able to subscribe to the Journal separately but no method of reminder renewals has been set up. Croft will look into this. Remember to vote (52 cents postage). Our own George Roach VE3BNO is running for Director and Croft VE3CT for Vice-President.
- George VE3BNO gave us an update on the Chapter 73 meeting stating that 90 were in attendance including Fred Hammond. Discussion on the possibibility of hosting a QCWA Convention took place. A very nice luncheon along with many door prizes added to the day's activities.
- Some changes in our Membership List and the E-Mail Addresses have been brought to the secretary's attention. For any further changes, contact Joan VE3ZC.
- APRS - Automatic Position Reporting System - is a geobased application displaying information maps. Use of APRS on 30 meters at 10.151, 2 meters at 144.39 and 6 meters at 53.53 with digipeaters and HF gateway stations at various locations, is becoming more popular. This is according to Norm Rashleigh VE3LC who has had 22 years with the RCMP in Mobile Radio Systems Engineering, and Rick Bandla VE3CVG who spent 31 years with Bell - our two guest speakers for the evening.
- APRS can display many static positions. You can even talk to other "hams" through the APRS application; send bulletins to a whole local network; search and rescue activities; for automatic weather reports; prop net - a graphic display of propagation; etc.
- You can see the world of activity on APRS through the internet.
- Software is available at http://www/tapr.org Newer versions are continually being available.
- The Ottawa Region APRS Group (ORAG) has a web site at http://www.qsl.net/orag. We need to get the building back in "ham" radio! A meeting will be held at Algonquin College, Lees Avenue on Thursday May 28th at 7:30, Room A-131.
- An intersting demo took place as we followed, on a map, the wanderlings of Norm VE3LC in his car! Help is available to any who are interested in becoming involved with APRS in this area.
- Ralph VE3BBM thanked our guests for such an interesting and informative talk.
- Motion of adjournment by Doug VE3XK, seconded by GeorgeVE3BNO.
Jim Dean (VE3IQ) Joan Powell (VE3ZC)
President 733-5585 Sect'y-Treas. 825-4543
1134 Plante Drive 3112 Woodroffe Ave.,
Ottawa,Ont., K1V 9E8 Nepean, Ont., K2J 4G3