QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
Socialize from 6:15 hrs - Dinner at 6:45 hrs
1) At 6:45 PM, Richard Ferch, VE3KI welcomed 37 Chapter members, spouses, ladies and guests, and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
Richard Ferch VE3KI President
David Conn VE3KL Past President
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV Vice President
John Hewitt VE3PUX Director
Barry Allison VE3NJK Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Regrets for Absence: Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director
Celsa Barnhardt, Liliana Conn, Carmella Lemay, Barbara MacKenzie, Geraldine Getchel, Vincent Hyatt VA3VGH, Katharine Anderson VE3EHV, Coral Spence
36 members and guests attended the meeting
2) Annual Acknowledgments: Richard VE3KI thanked the volunteers/executive for their hard work and dedication to Chapter 70:
Doug Leach: Web master and archivist
John Barnhardt: Photography, Restaurant bookings
John Barnhardt: Chapter 70 Monday night net
Norm Rashleigh: Secretary, QCWA inc. interface and reports
Norm Rashleigh: Estate sales
Pat Brewer: Pins/Certificates
Barry Allison: Chapter 70 master database, Treasurer
Dave Conn: Door prizes, nominations
3) Summer event: Richard VE3KI announced that the Executive was planning to organize a summer activity, location yet to be determined, with some optional ham radio operating activities for those interested. Date to be determined, likely mid-August. Members were asked to communicate suggestions for this activity to the Executive.
4) Illness and SK Report: - John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, reported that Gordon Grant, VE3DY loss his wife since the last meeting; there was a moment of silence and reflection.
5) Presentation of pins and certificates: Richard Ferch, VE3KI, and Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC, presented the following members with anniversary pins and certificates:
Name Callsign Year Present to Receive
Guy Charron VE3VCF 35 (not present)
Ying Hum VA3YH 40
Serge Bertuzzo VA3SB 45 (not present)
Pat Byers VE3EUR 45
Bob MacKenzie VA3RKM 50
Ken Oelke VE6AFO 55
Jim Anderson VE3ERA 60
Tom Bartello VE3ELM 60 (not present)
Joe Parkinson VE3JG 60 (not present)
George Roach VE3BNO 70
Joan Powell VE9JC Century Cert. (not present)
Peter Jago VA3PJ Century Cert.(not present)
Those who were not present to receive their pins/certificates will be mailed or given their awards directly.
Unfortunately, the pin for Ken Oelke, VE6AFO was not available as it was not anticipated by the Chapter awards director that Ken would not be present at the meeting. The pin will be mailed to Ken.
7) After Dinner Speaker:
Hong Kong Amateur Radio Transmission before and after 1997
Presenter – Ying Hum VA3YH
A slide presentation on Hong Kong
The speaker was introduced by Dave Conn, VE3KL and thanked afterwards by Richard Ferch, VE3KI
Ying's presentation was a mix telling about the history of amateur radio in Hong Kong along with pictures of sites and scenes of the former British colony. Ying showed and described many traditional food delights that was a focus of his talk.
8) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes for the spouses and ladies were presented by Dave Conn, VE3KL with the assistance of Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC. George Roach won the 50/50 draw with a pot of $31.00
9) Next meeting:
Before closing, Richard VE3KI announced that the next dinner meeting will be held on Tuesday September 20 at KS on the Keys.
The guest speaker will be Alan Goodacre, VE3HX on the subject of "Long delayed Echos" and his article which was published in QST.
Richard encouraged members to check into the Monday night net.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Minutes prepared by:
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
Secretary, Chapter 70