QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
KS ON THE KEYS
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Socialize from 6:15 hrs - Dinner at 6:45 hrs
1) At 6:45 PM, Richard Ferch, VE3KI welcomed 49 Chapter members, spouses, ladies and guests, and introduced the head table.
Executive Members Present:
Richard Ferch VE3KI President
David Conn VE3KL Past President
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV Vice President
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ Director to be ratified
Barry Allison VE3NJK Treasurer
Norm Rashleigh VE3LC Secretary
Guests: Jim Goldie, VE5SHK and Leonard Vogel. As well, Justine Sider from Industry Canada accompanied by husband Alan along with other members spouses and friends that were un-recorded on sign-in sheet.
2) Annual Acknowledgments: Richard VE3KI thanked the volunteers/executive for their hard work and dedication to Chapter 70:
Doug Leach: Web master and archivist
Jim Dean: Chapter 70 Monday night net
Marcel Lemay: Pins/Certificates
Ralph Cameron: 2013 Audit
Bob MacKenzie: Restaurant bookings in 2013, Estate sales
John Barnhardt: Photography, Restaurant bookings in 2014
Dick Bonnycastle: Financial and banking services in 2013
Barry Allison: Chapter 70 master database, Treasurer in 2014
Norm Rashleigh: Secretary, QCWA inc. interface and Journal reports
Dave Conn: Door prizes, nominations
3) Picnic: Richard VE3KI announced that, building on the success of last year’s picnic, the Executive was planning to organize a picnic at the Rideau River Provincial Park, with some optional ham radio operating activities for those interested. Date to be determined but most likely mid-August (August 13?). To be advised to the membership soon.
4) New Director: Pat Brewer VE3KJQ
Dave Conn VE3KL nominated Pat Brewer VE3KJQ for a 2 year term as a director for QCWA Chapter 70. The nomination was seconded by Joe Parkinson, VE3JG. Carried.
5) Illness and SK Report: - John Barnhardt VE3ZOV, reported on sick and ailing members as follows:
QCWA and Chapter 70 member, Ed Sieb passed away since the last meeting. Ed was well known in the Ottawa area and was the net minder of the Capital City Swap net. There was no local announcement or service.
6) Presentation of pins and certificates: Richard Ferch, VE3KI, and Marcel Lemay, VE3FNG, presented the following members with anniversary pins and certificates:
Name Callsign Year Present to Receive
Betty Broome-Newkirk, VE3ZBB 25
Pat Brewer VE3KJQ 35
Kieran Shepherd VA3KS 35 no
Frances Mackenzie-Roach, VE3HKG 40 no
John Barnhardt VE3ZOV 50
Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA 50
Ray Perrin VE3FN 50
John Hewitt VE3PUX 50
Bryan Rawlings VE3QN 55
Paul Reed VE2LR 55 no
Mike Rowlands VA3MR 55 no
John Belrose VE2CV 65 no
Clare Fowler VE3NPC 65
Gus Holtz VE3VK 65 no
Claude Bailey VE1HU 80 no
Bill Barrie VE3AAS 80 no
Gord Grant VE3DY 80 no
Jim Dean VE3IQ Century Club
Those who were not present to receive their pins/certificates will be mailed their awards by mail.
7) After Dinner Speakers:
Introducing Amateur Radio to Youth
Presenters – Dave Conn VE3KL and Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
The speakers were introduced by Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC.
Bryan introduced Justine Sider of Industry Canada. On behalf of Radio Amateurs of Canada, he presented her with a small gift in appreciation of the work she has done in the interests of Canadian amateurs both in preparing for and attending ITU meetings in Geneva and in preparation of Industry Canada responses to amateur radio-related proposals from RAC, including work on frequency allocations at 5 MHz and 472-479 kHz.
Justine Sider then described how her childrens’ school had come to request presentations on amateur radio in 2013, and Bryan gave a talk on these presentations. David then gave presentations that had previously been given to high school students at Carleton University in 2007 and to Cubs in Orleans in 2011 and 2014.
The speakers were thanked by Barry Allison, VE3NJK.
8) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes for the spouses and ladies were presented by Dave Conn, VE3KL with the assistance of special guest Justine Sider.
9) Next meeting:
Before closing, Richard VE3KI announced that the next dinner meeting will be held on Tuesday September 16 at KS on the Keys.
The guest speaker will be Clayton Smith, VE3IRR, to speak on Software Defined Radio development using GNU Radio.
Richard encouraged members to check into the Monday night net on VE3MPC, 147.15 MHz + at 7:30 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.
Minutes prepared by
Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
Chapter 70 Secretary.