QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
6:45 pm – 9:30 pm
May 17, 2011
1) At 6:45 PM, Vice President David Conn welcomed 45 Chapter members, spouses and guests, and introduced the head table.
Director John Gilbert, VE3CXL
Director Richard Ferch, VE3KI
Director George Roach, VE3BNO
Treasurer Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA
Secretary Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC
Past President Bob Mackenzie, VA3RKM
Guests: Geoff Bawden, VE4BAW, President, Radio Amateurs of Canada along, along RAC Director, Ontario North/East, Bill Unger, VE3XT
Neal Petersen, VE3DHE was welcomed as a new member of Chapter 70
3) Minutes of the February 15, 2011 dinner meeting: - Dave, VE3KL asked for approval of the minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website. Moved by Dick, VE3FUA and seconded by John, VE3CXL that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
4) Secretary’s Report: - Norm Rashleigh, VE3LC, provided the following brief report.
Created the email list of club members.
Dave Parks sent in the QCWA Journal Report.
John, VE3CXL, is continuing to update master database.
The web master of : www.qcwa.org/chapters-on the air chpt.htm was advised to update Chapter 70 net information to reflect VE3MPC.
Otherwise, there was no formal correspondence received or sent.
Moved by Joan Powell, VE3ZC, and seconded by Joe Parkinson, VE3JG, that the Secretary’s report be accepted. Carried
5) Treasurer’s report: – The Treasurer’s report was presented by Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA, as follows:
Report for the period Jan. 26 to April, 2011
Net increase: $114.52
Dick VE3FUA moved that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Seconded by Bryan Rawlings, VE3QN. Carried
6) Illness and SK Report: - Richard Ferch, VE3KI, reported on the sick and ailing members as follows:
Bob Mackenzie, VE3RKN, is recovering from bout of pneumonia.
John Hewitt, VE3PUX, could not attend the meeting due a surgical procedure.
Also reported was the passing of a previous member Bud Kingsbury, VE1ZR.
7) Presentation of pins and certificates: Dave Conn, VE3KL, and Marcel Lemay, VE3FNG, presented the following members with anniversary pins and certificates:
Name Callsign Year Present to Receive
Brice Wightman VE3EDR Century Club Certificate Yes
George Roach VE3BNO 65 Yes
Tom Bartello VE3ELM 55 No
Ernie Crump VE3OU 55 No
Joe Parkinson VE3JG 55 Yes
Ken Oelke VE6AFO 50 No
Bob MacKenzie VA3RKM 45 No
Ken Asmus VA3KA 40 No
Pat Byers VE3EUR 40 No
Ed Pugh VE3PU 40 No
James Rowland VE3GHR 40 No
Alan Beck VY2WU 35 No
Ying Hum VA3YH 35 No
Murray Pierce VE3IFP 35 No
Gary Hyatt VE3MJT 30 Yes
Those that were not present to receive their pins/certificates will be mailed their awards.
8) Nominating Report: John Gilbert moved that Norm, VE3LC, be appointed as the club secretary for a two year term. Seconded by Ed Morgan, VE3GX. Carried. He also moved that Dave, VE3KL be appointed as the club president for a two year term. Seconded by Doreen Morgan, VE3CGO. Carried
9) News and Notices: Dave VE3KL: Dave addressed the motion made at the previous Dinner meeting by Ed, VE3GX. He reminded the members that this motion was sent back to the Executive committee for further consideration which concluded that its members needed further information before voting. Hence, John, VE3CXL and Dave, VE3KL prepared a Discussion Paper to be circulated to all members and posted on the QCWA Chapter 70 Web site. The motion will be debated at the September meeting provided that it has a seconder.
10) New Business:
11) After Dinner Speaker: - Dick Bonnecastle, VE3FUA introduced the after dinner speaker Ken Pulfer, VE3PU who spoke on his experiences with the Canadian Space Program. Ken was thanked by Dave, VE3KL.
12) Door Prizes and 50-50 draw.
The Door Prizes were for the ladies and spouses. Each lady attending the meeting was given the name of a famous woman as her alias. The draw was a matter of elimination, the last 4 names not drawn were the winners of the door prizes.
The four winners were: Jane Fetherstone-Ferch, xyl of Richard, VE3KI, Doreen Morgan, VE3CGO and xyl of Ed, VE3GX, Marg Heaslip, VE3EQE and Barb Evans, xyl of Dave VE3AV.
The 50/50 draw had a total pot of $76. The club kept $38 and $38 was given to winner, Doug Leach, VE3XK.
13) Next meeting: - Before closing, Dave VE3KL announced that the next dinner meeting will be held at Robbie's Restaurant on Tuesday, September 13, 2010. The guest speaker will be George de Witte, VE3AYB who will review the story how 19th century telegraph technology was re-applied in a 1970’s High Capacity Digital Microwave system and Double-Dotting was re-defined as Partial Response or Duo-Binary signalling. He also encouraged members to check into the Monday evening QCWA 2 meter net on VE3MPC, 147.150 + 600 .
14) The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.