QUARTER CENTURY WIRELESS ASSOCIATION
NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
OTTAWA ONTARIO CANADA
6:45 pm – 9:30 pm
May 18th, 2010
1) At 6:45 PM, President Bob MacKenzieVA3RKM welcomed about 65 Chapter 70 members and guests, and introduced the head table.
Vice-President Dave Conn, VE3KL
Director Doug Leach, VE3XK
Director Richard Ferch, VE3KI
Director George Roach VE3BNO
Past President Dave Parks VE3AV
Treasurer Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA
Acting Secretary Tom Bartello VE3ELM
Guest Geoff Bawden VE4BAW (President, RAC)
Guest Ed Frazer VE7EF (former RAC director)
3) Minutes of the February 16th, 2010 dinner meeting: - Bob VA3RKM, asked for approval of the February 16th minutes as posted on the Chapter 70 website.
Moved by Bob VA3RKM and seconded by George Roach VE3BNO that the minutes be adopted as posted. Carried.
4) Secretary’s Report: - Bob VA3RKM reported that Ken Pulfer VE3PU was in Geneva working on our behalf but had been active in maintaining our membership list, reporting to QCWA HQ.
5) Illness and SK Report: - Richard Ferch VE3KI, reported on sick and ailing members as follows:
Chapter 70 members Fred Green VE3IO and George Adamson VE3XS and QCWA life members Bill Marsh VE3SB and Ray Wilson VE3WI became SK’s since the last dinner meeting.
Rod Newkirk VA3ZBB is still in hospital and has been moved again.
Arnold Vandenbelt VA3IEE is now back in Ottawa, but his condition is worsening.
Don Heaslip VE3NJH is out of hospital, and back at home.
Rich then asked for a moment of silence in honour of the Silent Keys.
6) Special Presentation: - Croft Taylor VE3CT was presented with a plaque upon his induction into the Canadian Amateur Radio Hall of Fame by Geoff Bawden VE4BAW and Ed Frazer VE7EF. In his remarks, Croft noted the contribution of Bell Canadato amateur radio efforts.
7) Treasurer’s report: – The Treasurer’s report was presented by Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA as follows
A) Cash in account on January 1, 2010 = $1984.17
This is divided up as follows:
1) to cover cheque carried over from 2009 = $100.00
2) 2010 dues already collected = $690.00
3) 2011 dues already collected = $165.00
4) 2012 dues already collected = $45.00
5) 2013 dues already collected = $15.00
6) remainder in account = $969.17
Of the above, only items 2) and 6) apply to the current fiscal year. The others are all allocated to other years. The money available to this fiscal year as of January 1 is $1659.17.
B) Financial Activity: January 1 to February 15, 2010
Estate sale- $10.00
Dues for 2010- $30.00
Total income- $40.00
Office supplies- $12.98
Total expenses- $12.98
Net change: $27.02
C) Financial Activity: February 16 to May 17, 2010:
Dues for 2010- $210.00
(Dues for 2011)- $60.00
(Dues for 2012)- $45.00
(Dues for 2009)- $15.00 (overdue, reverts to general fund)
Bank Account Interest- $0.06
Total income (2010 only)- $210.06
Office supplies- $9.18
February Speaker's lunch- $22.00
QCWA pins- $409.42
Condolence cards- $16.24
Total Expenses- $472.57
Net change- [$262.51]
May 14, 2010
Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA
Treasurer, QCWA Chapter 70
Moved by Dick VE3FUA, seconded by Brice Wightman VE3EDR that the Treasurer’s report be approved. Carried
8) News and notices: - Bob VA3RKM reminded members of the Monday evening QCWA net on 147.150+ at 7:30pm, member certificates, voting for QCWA International directors, individual promotion to gain new members and the first Maplecon ham gathering in Emily Provincial Park north of Peterborough August 20-22.
9) Presentation of pins and certificates: - Joan Powell VE3ZC presented pins and certificates to the following members:
a) Year Pins (for those with less than 50 years on-air)
25 – VE3VCF Guy Charron
30 – VE3WMB Michael Babineau
35 – VE3CBK Chris Bisaillion
35 – VE3CZO Wayne Getchell
35 – VE3AAQ David Goodwin
35 – VE3HLU David Holford
35 – VE3HKG Frances MacKenzie-Roach
35 – VE3IFP Murray Pierce
40 – VA3PJ Peter Jago
40 – VA3KV Jim Thiessen
45 – VE3MY Tim Evangelatos
45 – VE3FUA Dick Bonnycastle
45 – VE3FNG Marcel Lemay
b) Year Pins and Golden Certificates (for those with more than 50 years on-air)
55 – VE3CXL John Gilbert
55 – VE3XK Doug Leach
60 – VE3PC Paul Campbell
60 – VE3CBE Wally Clarke
60 – VE3KL David Conn
60 – VE3TL Clay Hiltz
60 – VE3CGO Doreen Morgan
60 – VE3CT Croft Taylor
65 – VE3RM Don Dashney
80 – VE3XS Geo Adamson **(SK)** (accepted by his son and his wife)
c) Century Certificates (years age plus years as QCWA member)
100 – VE3TT Barc Dowden
100 – VE3NPC Clare Fowler
101 – VA3OEB Ernie Brown
101 – VA3ZBB Rod Newkirk (accepted by his wife)
10) Dinner Video: - About 20 minutes was shown of the amusing classic film "Mr. Hulot's Holiday." The second presentation, Tony Hancock's "The Radio Ham" could not be presented due to technical problems.
11) Door prizes and 50-50 draw: - Doug VE3XK, assisted by George Roach conducted the selection of winning tickets for the many door prizes and for the 50/50 draw. The winner of the 50/50 draw ($20) was Alan Goodacre VE3HX.
12) Next meeting: - Before closing, Bob VA3RKM announced that the next dinner meeting will be held at Robbie's Restaurant on September 21st 2010. Guest speaker will be Ying Hum VA3YH, who will speak on software-defined radio as used to receive the short-wave Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) signals.
13) The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 PM.