QCWA NC CHAPTER 70
Minutes of the Meeting of May 16th, 2006
Held at the Carlingwood Family Restaurant
President Joe Parkinson, VE3JG, welcomed the 58 members, spouses and guests to the dinner meeting.
He introduced the head table which were, Director Ernie Brown, VA3OEB; Director Doug Leach, VE3XK; Secretary Tom Bartello, VE3ELM.
2. Silent Keys:
Director Marg Heaslip, VE3EQE, reported on Silent Key, VE3NB, Bernie Burdsell. Although not a member of our Chapter, Bernie was a well known amateur 'op' in the Kingston, Ont., area.
Also mentioned was the 60th wedding anniversary of Chapter 70 member, Clay Hiltz, VE3TL and his wife, Patricia.
As reported by Joe, VE3JG:
- everyone is reminded that the Executive Members have applications for Chapter 70 and QCWA HQ (including the Journal). The chapter is continuing to recruit and all members are asked to be on the lookout for potential new members. You can also check the Chapter 70 web site for application forms as well as information on the benefits of joining QCWA.
- the Stan Hill project raised $1030.00 from the sale of estate equipment The family has gererously donated $200.00 to Chapter 70 to be used in a youth related endeavor. Joe indicated that, with the approval of the chapter executive, the funds will probably go to the RAC Youth Education Program.
- the Chapter 70 new web site address is http://qcwa70.org
- the weekly Thursday morning breakfast is going great guns and is a great way to meet other hams as well as chapter members. The breakfast is at the Embassy West Hotel, 1400 Carling Ave.
- a reminder of the QCWA election coming up and the importance of Canadian representation.
Secretary's note: Ken Oelke, VE6AFO, Chapter 70 member and Chairman of the upcoming QCWA Convention has sent his regards to all Chapter 70 members and extended an invitation to attend the Convention in Calgary, 28-30 September 2006.
Director Doug Leach, VE3XK, presented the following Chapter 70 awards and pins:
- for service to amateur radio over many years, the Meritorious Service Award was presented to Jack Belrose, VE2CV
. Licensed in 1949, Jack is a Life Member of QCWA and the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society; a Fellow of the Radio Club of America; member, Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC); Member and TA ARRL. Although retired, Jack, Radioscientist Emeritis, spends a few days each week at the Communications Research Centre Canada (CRCC), Ottawa. Jack has authored many well known articles and papers on antennas in various amateur radio publications around the world as well as professional organizations. Jack also has a strong interest in promoting the remembrance of Reginald Aubrey Fessenden.
- 60 year pin and certificate, Ken Scrivens, VE3LJ
- 50 year pin and certificate, Tom Bartello, VE3ELM
- 45 year pin, Ken Oelke, VE6AFO (not present)
- 40 year pin, Robert MacKenzie, VA3RKM (not present)
- 40 year pin, James Rowland, VE3GHR
- 35 year pin, Ed Pugh, VA3PU
- 35 year pin, Bill Bruyn, VE3JBW (not present)
Croft Taylor, VE3CT, Past President QCWA (on behalf of QCWA President John Johnston, W3BE), presented a QCWA Presidential Award to George Roach, VE3BNO, for his excellent work as Chairman of the Activities Committee. George also received his 60 year pin and certificate.
5. Guest Speaker:
The guest speaker for the evening was Frank Finley, a retired Information Specialist, with 42 years experience with Atomic Energy of Canada.
Mr. Finlay's highly animated presentation entitled "Good Old Radiation" covered the importance of natural radiation in our lives and industrial radiation in medicine, industry and the generation of electrical power. He also focused on the many Canadian technological accomplishments in the field of nuclear radiation and Canada's preeminence in nuclear power generation.
Jim Dean, VE3IQ, Past President of Chapter 70, thanked Mr. Finlay for providing an amusing, interesting and informative talk that was enjoyed by all present.
As there was no new Chapter 70 business, Joe adjourned the dinner meeting at 2130 hrs.
Notice of Next Dinner Meeting - Tuesday, 19 September 2006
Carlingwood Shopping Centre - "Family Restaurant"
Social at 1815 hrs - Dinner at 1845 hrs
Joe Parkinson (VE3JG) Tom Bartello (VE3ELM)
President 613 225-8998 WebPage - http://qcwa70.org Secretary 613 256-5146
49 Inverness Ave. 124 Corkery Woods Dr.
Ottawa, ON., K2E 6N6 VE3QCW on Thursday. 2000 hrs 147.300(+)(VE3TWO) Carp, ON., K0A 1L0
Thursdays at 0900 hrs - Breakfast Embassy West Motor Hotel - Consulate Cafe