QCWA NC CHAPTER 70
Minutes of the Meeting of February 17th, 2004
Held at the Carlingwood Family Restaurant
With 20 members and 1 guest in attendance Gerry King VE3GK welcomed all. He introduced the head table which included our speaker, Dick Bonnycastle, VE3FUA; Past Pres. Jim Dean VE3IQ; Treasurer Keith Bedal VE3GFI; Director Doug Leach VE3XK, and Secretary Clare Fowler VE3NPC.
- Gerry also introduced Director Ernie BrownVA3OEB; Director Doug Leach VE3XK; Vice Pres. Gus Holtz VE3VK; HQ Director George Roach VE3BNO, and also guest Liz Lennon.
- Keith VE3GFI is accepting dues for 2004 and we should all be thinking of who we could bring in for a new member.
- We have a 2 meter net on Thursday at 8 PM on VE3TEL, 147.030 with minus offset. All are encouraged to check in on it.
- Ken VE3PU, advised that he is on his way to the IARU in Geneva for a week to represent RAC. He will be attending a meeting of the fixed service who accupy segments throughout the whole spectrum. There are three items on the agenda. First is the review of the spectrum from 4 to 10 MHz, which includes our 40 meter band. Second is the proposal for a worldwide allocation at 135 kHz, and thirdly is broad band over power lines. In the case of BPL the fixed service and amateurs have a common interest in keeping interference under control.
- Fred Green VE3IO, thanked everyone for the card and good wishes he received from CH70 during his illness and he is now feeling pretty good.
- SK's are Jim Jarvis, VE3TI and Bernie Best VE3SH & VE7CJ. Also long time HQ QCWA member Leland Smith W5KL has passed away at age 90.
- In ill health is Bill Rieveley VE3AWJ.
- Keith VE3GFI is to thanked again for doing such a good job on the Web Site at http://www.qcwa70.cyberus.ca, where a copy of the Chapter 70 Constitution may be found. Also all the information on the convention is now posted there, including an application form, information on the hotel. and on the steam train excursion.
- Gerry then proceeded to take a short video of us all as a 'Get Well Elizabeth' message to send to Elizabeth Taylor in Florida, who had fallen and broken her jaw and had to have it wired shut.
- Correspondence sent by Clare VE3NPC to Elizabeth Taylor was a valentines card that we had passed around at a breakfast a couple of weeks ago which everyone signed. A thank you card received in reply was read to all indicating she was recovering and with the wires cut was eating again.
A letter of condolences was sent to the wife of SK Jim Jarvis VE3TI and a thank you note was received. A $25 donation in memory of Jim was sent to the Heart Institute. A letter with a donation of $100 was sent to the amateur radio program of the Canadian Institute for the Blind. We also received an e-mail from Gord Grant VE3DY in Florida wishing us all well at the dinner.
Motion to approve the Minutes of November 18, 2003 with an amendment to read "Gus VE3VK thanked Dave for his presentation" was made by Al VE3ANO, seconded by Doreen VE3CGO. Carried.
- George VE3BNO, assisted Doug VE3XK, in presenting a 65 year pin and certificate to Fred Green VE3IO.
A Treasurer's Report was presented by Keith VE3GFI
Bank Balance on November 18, 2003 $1083.57
Receipts (includes $1000 US of Convention seed money from QCWA HQ) 1987.20
Expenditures ($1282 of this being transfered to a Convention account) 1363.58
Bank Balance on Feb. 17, 2004 $1707.19
The guest speaker, Dick Bonnycastle VE3FUA was introduced by Jim VE3IQ.
Dick first became interested in amateur radio in the 1950's when he started taking apart old radios. He got his amateur license and call sign VE3FUA in 1964. He received his degree in electronic engineering from the University of Toronto in 1962 and his masters in 1966 from Queens University. His working career began at Canadian Westinghouse on the radar system for the CF104. In 1966 he joined the satellite group of the Communications Research Centre where he worked for the next 22 years.
- Dick gave us a very good talk on the design and characteristics that determine
high performance receivers. With the aid of block diagrams and graphs we now know what to look for in those manufacturers specifications and what performance we can expect.
- Gus VE3VK thanked Dick for his presentation.
Gerry King (VE3GK) Clare Fowler (VE3NPC)
President 225-3426 WebPage - http://www.qcwa70.cyberus.ca Secretary. 730-1081
1152 Tara Drive 16 Fairbairn St.
Ottawa, Ont., K2C 2H2 VE3QCW on Thursday. 2000 hrs 147.03 (VE3TEL) Ottawa, Ont., K1S 1T3
Thursdays at 0900 hrs - Breakfast Embassy West Motor Hotel - Consulate Cafe